As winter approaches, it’s time to start thinking about protecting and storing your outdoor furniture and accessories from the colder, harsher weather. Taking the time to clean and protect, will ensure that your furniture will stay in good condition and last you for years to come. Here’s how to care for your furniture ahead of winter...
- All furniture should be carefully cleaned before storing to ensure it starts off in the best possible condition. Wipe over wooden furniture with soapy warm water and lightly scrub with a brush. Now is a good time to treat with wood oil or wood paint. Make sure it is completely dry before you cover it. Move to an elevated area of your garden to avoid the furniture legs being sat wet after heavy rainfall or snow.
- Wicker and rattan furniture should always be stored clean and dry. Carefully vacuum the weave to remove dirt and dust, before wiping with a damp cloth or sponge. Rinse with clean water and then once completely dry, protect with durable, waterproof covers.
- Wrought Iron furniture should be scrubbed with warm soapy water, check for any areas of rust; sand these off to reduce the rust spreading over winter. Freshen up metal furniture with a lick of paint.
- Always remove cushions, seat pads and soft furnishings before you place the furniture covers on, these can be stored in a special garden storage box, or indoors. Make sure you carefully clean and dry all soft furnishings before storing, to avoid mildew and mould. We love our garden storage boxes, as they look stylish when matched to the furniture sets, and are completely weatherproof, meaning they can be left and used outdoors all year round.
- Check under the cover every 2-3 weeks through the winter, so make sure it has no leaks and is protecting your furniture. Brush off any heavy snow or fallen leaves to avoid unnecessary weight.
We have lots of different sizes of all-weather garden furniture covers to suit your outdoor sets available online and in-store. Along with stylish cushion storage boxes to protect your outdoor soft furnishings.