What to do in the garden this Autumn
There’s plenty of jobs to do in the garden this time of year, from clearing leaves and annuals such as sweet peas to thinking ahead to Winter and Spring. Here are a few things for you to do this Autumn.
- It’s not too late to plant Winter Vegetables. For a harvest in the winter months, plant up young seedlings such as Cauliflower, Leek, Broccoli and Cabbage.
- Now is the perfect time to start planting bulbs for a colourful floral display in Spring. Take a look at our guide to creating a potted bulb lasagne for blooms throughout the season.
- Refresh your bedding and borders with some beautiful Autumn planting to keep your garden looking it’s best. From Pansies and Violas, to ornamental grasses and Cyclamen.
- Make the most of the Autumnal sunshine, with the addition of garden furniture. Whether you’re looking for dining sets, lounge sets or something to suit a smaller outdoor space, we have something to suit you.
What to plant in Autumn:
By October, Autumn has well and truly arrived. Filling our gardens and outdoor spaces with golden hues, deep reds and sepia tones. But the end of summer doesn’t have to mean the end of flowers, colour and interest in the garden. We look at our top recommendations for Autumn planting to bring added colour and life to make the most of your outdoor space.
Our top picks for the garden this Autumn
- Pyracantha is a thorny evergreen shrub with flame coloured berries, dense foliage and white blossom in the Spring, making it great for year-round interest.
- The brightly coloured Chrysanthemum flowers are in bloom through Summer and Autumn. They’re perfect for pots and hanging baskets, adding volume, shape and vibrant colour.
- The gentle Hellebore blooms through Autumn right through until Spring. You can find them in a range of colours, from white and pinks to dusty purples. These flowers look just as beautiful as cut flowers in a vase, so you can enjoy your hard work from the warmth of your home.
- Also known as Dogwood, Cornus Sibirica is a shrub with incredible fiery coloured bracts in a range of oranges and red tones. This is sure to be a highlight of any Autumnal garden. Great for using as screening in the garden, and provides great hidden spaces for lots of creatures through the colder months.
- The hard-working Acer is at its best through the Autumnal months, but provides colour and interest all year round. Perfect for growing in containers in semi shaded positions, Japanese Maples suit any size of garden and outdoor space. Turning from green to decadent ochres, terracotta and jewel red, the Acer captures Autumn colour and sings loud.
Visit us in-store to see our full range of Autumn planting, as well as for tips and advice from our plant experts!